Ever been in the situation when an aunty comes up and asks you the mood making or breaking question, “Beta tum kya kar rahe ho?” And your mum happily cuts in saying something like, “Yeh architect kar rahi hai.” Translate it literally to English and you’ll get “She’s doing an architect”. Or the vice versa. “Yeh architecture banne vali hai.” WTF.
Okay, I might be slightly obsessed with the idea but heck, some respect please!! Then comes the highly annoying Ted Mosby illusion. That guy just looks too healthy and happy to be an architect! And the biggest irony – He’s got time to actually look for stuff like love! We expect to find it somewhere hidden in our models. I fell for my final design project from last sem. Haven’t moved on since. I hear ‘tujhme rab dikhta hai’ from Rab ne bana di jodi when I look at it 😛 Now that is true love
And we spent so much time on our models, that we couldn’t complete the sheets…I was short of elevations. But at least my model turned out nice. See? The Dream House Project and the night before the jury went something like this:
Best part: the professors are no less.
Sometimes I get scared that I’ll vent my frustration in not so constructive ways later on, which hopefully will be as funny as what this guy has done.
He was probably getting nostalgic.
And why? Yes I’ve stated this many times, but I’ll tell you again.
- I don’t get time to sleep. In fact, our dean says that you’re probably doing something wrong if you’re able to get more that 4 hours of sleep per day.
- I go around collecting junk like bottle caps, straws, and even shoe boxes that people throw away cus they could be a good piece to add to my ‘future, not even planned’ model.
- Flirting? That ended in high school. Bhool jao love life. Ab hona hai toh ho jayega, nahi toh model mein pyaar dhundo. (Forget love life. It’ll happen if it has to, or else find your pleasure in models) 😛
- Even my professors admit to it: Architects are overworked and underpaid. I’ll be studying for 5 years (one year internship) to get a license and if I actually want to take it up a notch, I’ll be investing at least 2 more years for masters. That means 7 years for a job that won’t even make me rich.
- Besides, if truck drivers (Tadao Ando) can become amazing architects without actually screwing their lives attending college, then why us?
Okay okay, before you give me the eye rolls after reading this stuff, I admit:
But heck, I still love what I do. So let’s sum it up, you might’ve seen memes like these floating around a lot on the internet these days, so I caught hold of one too.
And if you got the time, do check out this video. I believe architecture students and professionals will appreciate it a lot more than our sane folks.